Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Why did I buy a scooter?

About 4-5 years ago I was getting real tired of the high gas prices. It was pushing $1.70 up to $1.90. At this time I was going to school full time and my wife was working full time. We were also thinking about starting our family. One day I said to my self, "Self...you will buy a scooter when gas hits $2.00 butts a gallon." The end of 2003 came around and I think gas hit $2.00 butts. So I made the plan at that point to sell my car and get a scooter. In the mid summer I found the scooter I was looking for and sold my car. I was getting 70 to 80 miles per gallon. Life was good.

In the mid fall of 2004 I remember gas going back down to the mid $1.70. Since the end of 2004 gas has not been under $2.00 butts. It has gone up and up. Driving past a station today I saw the price was $4.57 which is ten cents more than yesterday.

I think I made a good decision back then. I did some calculating to see how much I am paying for gas now. Lets say a car gets an average of 25 mpg. At the price of $4.57 this car can go 25 miles for that price. The price for me to go 25 miles is $1.60. So if I were a car I would be spending $1.60 per gallon. This is about the price gas was 4 to 5 years ago.

Gas sure has gone up a lot. Ten years ago a barrel of oil was $10 and now it is $130.

No comments: